Author Guidelines ( click here to download PDF )
Information for the contributors
A manuscript prepared following the “Uniform Requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical Journals” is acceptable to this journal for publishing. Authors are advised to visit the Web site www.icmje.org for this purpose.
The Bhutan Health Journal is intended to promote prompt publication of concise, scientific article based on the study in all fields of medical and health sciences.
- Submitted manuscripts should not be previous republished or being considered for publication elsewhere.
- All submitted articles will undergo double blind peer review as per recommendations by subject specific experts selected by editors.
- Reviewed manuscripts will be sent to the corresponding author for appropriate response if it is indicated.
- Acceptance is based on significance, originality, clarity and fulfillment of the criteria of the publication policy of this journal.
- The Editor-in-Chief will take all final decisions regarding acceptance.
- Selection of the reviewed and accepted manuscripts intended for publication in a particular issue will be decided by Editorial Board.
- Rejected manuscript will be returned if accompanied by stamped or self- addressed envelope.
- Upon acceptance for publication the copy right of the paper automatically transfers to the BHJ and will not be published elsewhere either in part or whole without written permission of the copyright holder.
- Review article should be written by a subject expert.
Manuscripts based on the study should have been conducted according to the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki revised 2000.
Manuscript must contain a statement in the method section that ail human subjects involved studies have been approved by appropriate ethical committee after careful examination of the ethical aspects.
Permission of the patients or their families to reproduce photographs of the patients where identity is not disguised
- Author should obtain written permission to reproduce any
The authors are requested to strictly follow the guide lines below for submission of manuscript to Bhutan Health Journal for publication. The following documents with manuscripts are to be submitted for publication.
- A covering letter addressed to the Editor-in-Chief of the journal (Sample given at the end).
- A Title page (Sample given at the end).
- Abstract and key words in the first page followed by the text, prepared in the format of IMRAD.
- Authors must submit 2 hard copies of all documents and one copy in electronic form preferably written in a CD with adequate labeling.
- In special case, submission through E-mail with file attachment of all documents is welcome.
- All authors must sign after seeing the manuscript with the statement that they are the only authors.
- The corresponding author should mention the contribution of each author to the work.
- It should contain a declaration that this manuscript has not been submitted elsewhere or not under consideration in any journal.
- It should clearly indicate the publication type (Original/ Review/Case report/letter etc.)
- Should also mention the expected benefit of the medical science from publishing of this article.
Authors are requested to submit new and revised manuscript and correspondence to:
Bhutan Health Journal
Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan
Tele: +975-02- 328999/328990/328997
- Double spaced throughout with Justified and 2.5 cm margins
- Title- font size 16, Headings - font size 14, subheading- font size 12 (all in BOLD).
- Text -Font type is times new Roman with size 12.
- Manuscript should have uniform style, correct journal format, carefully proofread for grammar, spelling and punctuation
In general, original article should be divided into following sections: Title page, Abstract, Text, Acknowledgement, References, Tables with titles and foot notes, alternatively graph with title and Illustrations with legends. Each of the sections is to start on a separate page. Pages should be numbered consecutively beginning from the abstract.
- Title of the article.
- Names of all authors with institutional affiliations
- Name of the department and institute where the study was undertaken
- Name of the corresponding author with contact address, telephone number, Email address
- Disclosure of conflict of interest if any
- Disclosure of sources of funding or sponsor A short running head
- Number of tables given
- Number of figures given
- Word count of abstract
- Title of the article
- Structured with headings (Background, Objectives, Methods with statistical analysis, Result & Conclusion).
- Authors name should not be given Preferably within about 250 words
- Avoid abbreviations in the title and abstract except standard abbreviation
- A non-structured abstract is suggested for review article and case report.
- 3-5 words arranged alphabetically, separated by a semi-colon and ending with full stop.
Text should be arranged into following sections: Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusions, Acknowledgement, & References (all in Uppercase and Bold)
- Statement of the problem with a short discussion of its importance and significance
- Review of the literature related to the problem with pertinent reference
- Objectives/ hypothesis/ benefits expected stated in
- Study type, place and time
- Description of study variables
- Description of study subjects and grouping
- Selection criteria
- Approval of the study involving human subjects by ethical review committee and description of the ethical aspects in such study
- Description of procedure, methods, apparatus, drugs or chemicals as applicable
- Description of statistical procedure with enough detail to enable a knowledgeable reader with access to the original data to verify the reported results
- Present result in logical sequence in text, table and illustration with most important finding first
- Describe without comment
- Restrict number of table and figure needed to support assessment of paper (5-7) Do not duplicate data in table and figure
- Simple self-explanatory with brief title, not duplicate in text
- Each table should be numbered in Romans and printed in separate page
- Do not use internal horizontal and vertical rules
Uses of many tables are not encouraged
- All illustrations must be numbered consecutively in Arabic numerals as they appear in the text
- Submit print photograph of each illustration along with its electronic file
- Figure number, title of manuscript, name of the corresponding author and arrow indicating top should be written on a sticky label affixed on the back of each
- Scanned picture, graph, chart with title and figures number should be printed on separate page and original data presentation file should be inserted in the CD along with text
- Must be typed in a separate sheet of paper
- Photomicrograph should indicate the magnification, internal scale and the method of staining
- All drugs should be mentioned in their generic form. The commercial name may be used in parenthesis
- Individuals, institution, sponsor, organization or bodies can be acknowledged in the article for their contribution or financial or any form of assistance to the work
- For reference, use author number style
(Vancouver) which is based on an ANSI standard adapted by the National Library of Medicine(NLM)
- References should be numbered consecutively in the order in which they are first mentioned in the text
- Identify references in the text, tables and legends by Arabic numerals in superscript
- All citations to electronic references should be presented in numbered references following the text
- The titles of the journals should be abbreviated according to the style used in Index Medicus
- Write names of 6 authors followed by et al. if author’s number is more than six.
- The reference list is not usually checked by the editorial staff or reviewer. It is the total responsibility of author to provide accurate information.
Standard journal article: Example:
Khalil M, Chowdhury MAI, Rahman H, Mannan S, Sultana SZ, Rahman MM, et al Splenic Mass and its relation to age, sex and height of the individual in Bangladeshi People. J Bangladesh Soc Physiol 2008; 3(1): 71 -78.
Journal article with organization as author:
American diabetes Association. Diabetes update. Nursing, 2003 Nov; Suppl: 19-20.
Journal article with multiple organizations as author: American Dietetic association; Dietitians of Canada. Position of Dietetic association and Dietitians of Canada nutrition and women's health. J Am Diet Assoc 2004 Jun; 104(6): 984-1001.
Journal article with Governmental body as author: National Institute on Drug Abuse (US); Caribbean Epidemiology Centre; Pan American Health Organization; World Health Organization. Building a collaborative research agenda: drug abuse and HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean 20022004. West Indian Med J. 2004 Nov; 53 Suppl 4: 1-78.
Standard book with initials for authors:
Eyre HJ, Lange DP, Morris LB. Informed decisions: the complete book of cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery. 2nd ed. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2002. 768 p.
Contributed chapter of a book:
Rojko JL, Hardy WD. Feline leukemia virus and other retrovinises. In:Sherding RG, editor. The cat: Livingstone; clinical management. New York: Churchillst oa and n ein; 1989. p. 229-332.
Pacak K, Aguilera G, Sabban, E, Kvetnansky R, editors. Stress: current neuroendocrine and genetic approaches. Symposium on Catecholamines and Other Neurotransmitters in Stress: 2003 Jun 28-July 3; Smolenice Castle (place ofconference), Slovakia. New York (place of publication): New York Academy of Sciences (publisher); 2004 Jun. 590 p.
Scientific and Technical Reports:
Page E, Harney JM. Health hazard evaluation report.
Cincinnati (OH)(Place of publication: National Institute for
Occupational Safety and Health (US)(Publisher); 2001
Feb.24 p(Total number of pages). Report No.: HE TA20000139-2824
Kempner JL. Aching heads, making medicine: gender and legitimacy in headache (title) [dissertation]. [Philadelphia]: University of Pennsylvania;2004.27 1p.
Alam M. Study of Heart Rate Variability in Adolescent Athletes [M Phil thesis]. [Dhaka]: Bangabanclhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University; 2008. 178p
Institution: Nu. 1000/-
Individual: Nu. 300/-
Senior: Nu. 300/-
Junior: Nu. 200/-
Overseas Patron: US$ 20.00